March 6, 2008

My Birthday Present: Ocean view Apt!

So $1900 EC later I am the proud owner of an apartment by the ocean.  Although not on the ocean, the water is only a 10 minute walk away and I can see it from my balcony.  The place is spartan and perfect for me.  It has a large veranda with a screened in porch which will be awesome for studying, napping and cookouts.  It also has a door off the veranda that doesn't lead anywhere but straight down to the ground.  My landlord told me this was in case of emergencies...gotta love Grenada.  The place comes fully furnished, with a TV and a maid (all which is standard for a rental here on the island).  I'd frankly do away with the maid and TV but oh well.  My friend Ivonne lives right next door which is great.  I have LOTS of room.  Grenada apartments are built very spaciously. My Kitchen/living room has enough space to host Thanksgiving in all its glory and circle dancing.  My land lord is renting it out this summer and I take possession the first week of August.  So my "Walk-ins Welcome" sign is ready.  I can't wait to have you all visit.
Besides the excitement of gaining my apartment, the week has been trying.  It was my first birthday away from home, midterms are next week and I came down with a MASSIVE cold/sinus infection.  But the scholarly must push on I guess.  I spent my birthday evening with several of my classmates in the anatomy lab, surrounded by real and plastinated hearts.  Once midterms are over I am definitely having a "do over" for my birthday.
When not being consumed by midterms I spend the weekends studying at the beach, underwater or having "just one more" rumpunch at our local bar.  Every day I wake up to yet another beautiful, 84 degree day. It's a pretty nice existence.  Some of you have asked if I'm going to come back...the answer is of course...but its not a bad place to be for the next 2.5 years. 
Meggie asked what I missed most about the states and at the time I couldn't really think of a definite list.  But after much pondering here's my top 5 (not including the RIDICULOUS AMOUNT I miss all of you and my furry, devil of a dog of course).

#1 Country Music.  It simply does not exist here.
#2 My car.  I know how American of me, but it is so nice to zip into town.  No running quickly anywhere here.  A trip to the bank and the grocery store is a full day's work in Grenada.
#3 Mexican food.  I tried to order a tortilla here and inside it had carrots and kristofine (local veggie). 
#4  The good ol' reliable United Postal Service.  My roommate has been waiting on a package for over 30 days now...the postal service here assures her its on the island but somewhere in customs.
#5 Elk steak...yum yum yum.
Fairly trivial things all in all.   A small price to pay for all I'm gaining.
I'll be back in May!!! I can not wait to see you all.

Apt w labelsP1050004

No comments: