April 18, 2008

I can almost see the surface…

Over three months and counting in island time...but the passage of time has now become a countdown.  I will be back in the states in just a handful of weeks.  The fact that finals are looming ominously in the future is still a bit unreal, but preparations for departure have certainly begun.  And leaving is on everyone's minds and lips.  Hopefully we can keep ourselves grounded enough to do well on our finals before leaving our tropical haven. 
I'd like to say I'm getting use to life here, and I am, but it almost feels like someone else is having this experience.  I left that woman who was career driven, house owning, older and wiser back in Portland.  And it feels like I'm just killing time before I get to go back to her.  But for all who wanted to relive your youth, then I recommend going to grad school on a tropical island.  And I realize my parents, and numerous uncles/aunts are shaking their heads at my mention of "youth", but I do feel that I've taken a time machine back to my early twenties.  And it is a hilarious, eye opening trip thus far.  For example...during a late night/early morning Tuesday outing I gleefully watched some of the guys in my class devour a bag of dog biscuits.  You don't often get a chance to live like that again and I'm certainly taking it all in...perhaps a bit to much.

But off the self reflection and onto some concrete events.  I had a fantastic wreck dive on Sunday with my new, shiny, spiffy camera.  I LOVE IT.  I had so much fun taking photos of my friends, the wildlife and in general horsing around 60 ft underwater.  All of a sudden my diving skills seem to have clicked and I'm just having fun underwater.  I believe my brilliant divemaster Kerri told me that dive number 9 or 10 was when buoyancy control finally kicked in.  And he was dead on.  I managed to hover over a moray eel in perfect Mission Impossible form...apparently I was getting to close for my dive buddiy's comfort and he about swam over to grab me up.  He was certain I was going to be bit...and I was probably a bit too close.  It was my first wreck and we were able to swim into it some (which I was not expecting).  Our divemaster disappeared in the helm and then returned to gesture us in one by one.  And low and behold what did we find?  An air pocket at 45 ft underwater.  It was unnerving and exhilarating to be able to remove our regulators and have a brief conversation.  Next underwater adventure...a night dive next week.  My diving friend in Oregon recommended glow sticks for my dive buddy and I so I can find him.  I've already told Matt that I may need to hold his hand underwater...and perhaps have a tether.

Saturday was the Unity Ball...which was less Ball-worthy and more reminiscent of a highschool dance.  The entire male contingency of our class (all 15 of them) bailed on attending, so a large, female, group from our class decked ourselves out in our finest and set out.  Med students were everywhere and drama brewed up.  I was happy to observe from the sidelines.  It was fun to dress up though and meet some new people.  All in all it was very entertaining.

Island life is being kind to my health and figure.  I've started daily walks around the campus and my good friend CeCe is often by my side.  We even walked all the way to Grand Anse from campus this weekend.  We passed a group of young boys (around 7 yrs old) and one was sporting a machete.  They start young here on Grenada.  Just when I think I've seen it all.

In a few weeks Matt, Micah and I get to pull an all nighter on the other side of the island helping 500+ lb Leatherback turtles lay eggs on Levera beach.  The largest turtle they've seen they estimated at 2000 lbs.  2000 lbs!!!  I'm beyond excited.  My roommate went last night and she said it's turtle city.  She tagged countless flippers and helped move three nests.  She also became an egg delivery specialist.  I can not wait to add that to my list of credentials.

As for this week...I have exams.  As usual.

57606184969798100

No comments: