September 17, 2008

A new journey...

After completing my sophomore year in college, my parents informed me we were moving north to Ketchikan, Alaska. Jackson, Wyoming had served its purpose. The Tetons, which brought an overwhelming rush of peace to me, would no longer crash from the sky outside my window. I’d never again sit on my roof and watch the sun set over their serrated tops. The bar was high, but luckily, as most of you know, Alaska filled every inch of my family’s rather nomadic souls with its dangerous beauty, greenery and downpours of rain. That first summer I was lucky enough to witness a group of humpback whales bubble feeding. Whales leave an impression on anyone who sees them, especially when glimpsed in their native habitat. It seems inconceivable that life can be so BIG! After this first encounter I traveled home, smelling of brine and grinning widely. That night I sent an email to my girlfriends back in the states about the encounters. This detailed, adjective filled email was the first writing sample many of them had from me. I imagine they said “Oh Meg…” with a smile, laugh and a shake of their heads. I admit, it was a bit much. The email was christened “the Whale Tale”.

“Why am I prattling on,” you wonder, “and what does this have to do with your Grenadian life away from home? And what’s with the new blog?” For this, my second term away (only 2 years and 5 months to go) I’m going to try something new. My travel diary will be turning into a true blog…full of mindful rants, resurrected memories and perhaps a musing or two. Although I loved the travel diary aspect of my Meg’s Adventures, I realized that I felt constrained, and the site was…troublesome. Writing only about life on the island does not allow me to write as often as I’d like, or to express the menagerie of thoughts this island triggers. So I’m warning all of you now…this blog is going to undergo a transition. I realize this may cause some of you to exercise quick fingers on the delete button. Hopefully some of what I write you can relate to, comment on (please!) and even strikes you as witty or moving (I have high hopes). This is also your chance to get off the imposed blog update list. If you’d like to get emails informing you that I’ve written something new let me know and I can add you in. I hope you add me to your favorites and check in often to say hello. Rest assured, all monkey sightings, dive adventures, and general Grenadian nuttiness will be captured. But be prepared…“Whale Tales” are coming.

2 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

I do remember the whale e-mail. That was a good one. I'm looking forward to reading whatever tales you've got to share!

Jess Richter said...

I was definitely smiling and saying "Oh Meg..." in my head as I was reminded of your notorious "Whale Tale" email. I even remember where I was sitting while I read it - at a public computer in the McMinnville library. Those were the days.

If I'm not already on your list of people to update when new posts arrive, be sure to place me there :)