In order to actually create a blog post (I know…its been awhile) I decided to follow in the blog savvy steps of The Short Years and do some quick takes.
1) I do not miss Grenada. I know it sounds cold, but when asked by friends recently if I missed the gorgeous Caribbean pearl I spent 1.5 years of my life on I practically screamed, “NO!”. I had to take it down a bit and repeat in a civilized tone, “No.” So why not? I enjoyed Grenada. I would recommend it to all who are interested in visiting a Caribbean island. But it was not a place this Montanan girl was meant to be. I am a spiritual person (although which train of spirituality I’m following varies from time to time) and I have always found that I quickly and easily feel a deep connection with certain places. The moors of Northern England and Scotland for example resonated deep within my heart and soul. Alaska brought a sense of serenity. Linfield felt like home the minute I drove past the big oak. Past lives calling perhaps? Grenada and I never resonated in such a way. I was not meant to be there for long. And really…have you seen Hurricane Bill?
2) I love the Montanan driver salute. The subtle, two finger raise that is both greeting and polite acknowledgement. Once you leave the high speed flow of any Montana freeway you are likely to be hailed by several strangers with this slight wave and perhaps even a head nod. During the first Montucky trip my friend Danielle noticed this greeting and asked me if I knew the person. I looked at her after acknowledging the passing driver and said, “I don’t think so. Why?” She was baffled as to why the person was waving. “It’s a Montana thing,” I replied.
3) I have a lot of stuff I should be doing. It amazes me how the more one has to do, the more ways one finds to sit on their butt. In college my roommate and I discovered a website that had comedic monologues on college life. Actually, come to think of it, it might have been one of the first examples of a blog. Anyhoo, the student involved wrote a piece on procrastination and how instead of studying he built a loft instead one night. Yesterday I scanned a multitude of old photos surrounding the computer desk. Building a loft is probably not far behind.
4) My house gives me a headache and I don’t even own it. I have contractors and inspectors that may come to blows over what they believe has been done. I just need a roof and keys people. Settle the heck down.
5) The Montucky reunion was outrageous and a great deal of good ol’ fashion fun. The weather was not fully cooperative, but we took full advantage of the rare sun breaks. By the end of the visit I had most city-slickers converted to wild meat and thinking hunting was a pretty damn fine way to fill a fridge. Mission accomplished.
6) I am so excited/nervous for school to start. I’m really concerned about where I’m going to sit in class. Absurd right? But this class is established and we are going to throw off their little group dynamics. And inevitably I am going to take someone's seat and then their will be chaos and dirty looks. I know I’ve thrown a couple really impressive glares when my seat was taken. See instead of accomplishing things like say, packing, this is what I think about.
7) I am going to put the cutest little cast iron stove you’ve ever seen in my house. It’s my favorite feature for my house I don’t really own.
8) Inca and I spend several hours gazing at the river, napping and in general being unproductive. The dog is truly a distraction. She is so adorable I can barely function. It’s impossible to walk past her without stopping for a quick swipe through her shiny red coat. I am just love struck over that little dog. I plan on taking photos of just her paws drawn up by her face as she sleeps and making it a large black and white photo to frame for the new house. Seriously ridiculous how much I love that little dog.
9) I will leave you with a quote that brings up a subject I have been meaning to blog about, and WILL blog about someday. The ability for a domestic animal to evolve to fit the owner they have. “She’s a special, special animal—and demonstrates very powerfully that domesticated animals are sometimes quite capable of rising way above their raw instinct and connecting with humans on a real level.” Ponder that for awhile. I’m not quite ready to cover it.
2 comments:
The moors of England and Scotland--the few days we spent there--immediately resonated with me too, and have stuck with me ever since. And, while I loved Grenada, I'm not sure I could live there either.
Albany is not so different from McMinnville, so hopefully it's a better fit for you, even if you're only here a few years. Eric and I went out on a date to our favorite Italian place downtown last night and saw a sign that someone is putting in a bistro/cocktail bar. I'm excited! You and I are definitely going to be hitting that once it opens.
We'll see you soon!!!
Post a Comment