Have you ever learned something that truly interrupted your day by forcing itself into your thoughts? Like a song that incessantly plays in the background of your mind? My senior year at Linfield I took Principles of Botany. I truly enjoyed the class and the many field trips into nearby pastures, meadows and glens. But as the class progressed I found my mind filled with the names of plant families. A quiet walk in the woods was becoming a mental bout of kalistetics. Unbidden and unwelcome the name of plant origins would flash into my mind. Stopping to smell the roses was near impossible as my mind would instantly whisper Rosaceae. To this day I can not withold the word Rosaceae when I spot a thorny member of this family, or the term Laminaceae from creeping up when I smell mint.
Veterinary school is becoming a constant barrage of uninvited thoughts. This morning, pain is shooting through my torn up left shoulder as I've been remiss in doing my physical therapy that my friend Megan prescribed for me years ago. The pain is racing from C6 to about T2, shooting across my Trapezius and deep into my Serattus ventralis. And yes...that is really what I'm thinking. I no longer have the luxury to sit and wallow in my pain. And when it comes to my shoulder, I use to wallow really well. My brain is now constantly analyzing it. My tummy aches are a thing of the past. Now a gurgle has me placing it not only in my stomach, but in a specific section of my stomach. A few weeks ago (I am sad to admit) I lost my 1.5 year record of not being sick from over imbibing on alcohol. As most of you know, there is nothing worse than suffering a hangover of that severity...it's five thousand times worse when your mind is describing to you in detail how the vomiting mechanism works and analyzing your sudden weakness due to the loss of K+ and the inability of your Na/K pump in your muscles to function properly.
I honestly don't know how people study human medicine. This explains why many doctors have a distracted air about them. I think they are constantly in an internal struggle to turn the voices off.
4 comments:
You're too funny Meg. Your posts make me laugh. Hope you're having a nice Sunday.
The problem with my current job of motherhood is that the little voices incessantly forcing themselves into my thoughts belong to actual little people. It is very difficult to turn those little voices off.
Sorry your shoulder hurts!
That was a great post. And it confirmed that I made the right choice by not becoming a doctor, lawyer or accountant... I'd be like Rainman. Leave the aches, pains, happenings, and math problems to others.
I hear you were disappointed in our drama-filled night... but it sounds like you had a date with the ceramic gods yourself! We can't lose the party in us, it's half the fight of living. I promise to give the newly fattened Inca a big Thanksgiving hug in about a month!!
one advantage to being as old as i am (partial tongue in cheek) is i can no longer remember the last time i was that sick from over indulging. on the other hand, all the pt i have neglected over the years is now a daily reminder that i'm not going to age well. haha.
Post a Comment