January 19, 2009

Sorels to flip-flops


I am back in Grenada, or "The Rock" as the students have coined it. I always picture the movie "The Rock" with Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage whenever I hear the island's nick-name. There are certainly days the island feel a bit like Alcatraz with no view of freedom in the future. But that day is not today. Today was filled with the island flavor that makes Grenada a fascinating place to live. CeCe and I spent a full afternoon traversing the island looking at houses and apartments for her. Our quest led us to a beach I'd never visited, new spectacular views and we happily witnessed some young calves playing hookie out of their pasture. Like a pack of unruly teenagers that you catch mid-afternoon in the mall on a week day, the calves seemed delighted to be kicking up their heels on the ramshackle sidewalk. They played chicken with traffic and nibbled grass beneath the SGU campus sign while tourists (and clearly myself) snapped photos.

While home I was constantly asked if I was excited to go back to the island and my instant, decisive answer, was NO! which I then added several clarifiers to. The thing is, life here is almost another life entirely. Saying goodbye does not get any easier. With every trip and girl's weekend I realize that I am missing a large portion of the lives of my friends. I'm missing momentous occasions that I've always envisioned myself sharing. I painfully miss that life. But Grenada is a seperate life, a different life that I also love. But it is also temporary, and in a way, not mine. I am very excited to be done, and to be me again. Well...the new and improved me with the fancy title. But until then I will revel in the life that is Grenada. And miss all of you.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Hey it was so good to see you! Even if it was just for a short while. I guess it will be a while longer to see you again. Hopefully we can manage a girls trip this summer too. Miss you and I will try and send photos of little Garrett who isn't so little anymore! I somehow lost this blog so now I can view it again. Take care! Love ya! Betsy

Emily B. said...

I can relate... when I'm asked if I'm excited to go on my adventure... NO! I'm scared! But I'll embrace it upon arrival, I hope. ; )

Megan and Kerry said...

Glad you could enjoy some time in P-town, the Forell third story is almost done, just waiting for your next visit!