Grenada is in a constant struggle to grow, build and advance. Infrastructure does not develop with any sort of structure, but it continues to force its way through the rubble that Ivan left behind. The logic behind the expansion, and building is not clear. Most likely because no one has a plan to follow. City plans do not exist here. Out of the debris that Ivan flung about is a nation that is also beginning to open their doors to the four legged creatures outside. Pets are emerging on the island. Several dogs roam the island with machete scars and swerving walks from run ins with vehicles. Most of these dogs are property...alarm systems. A very small few are owned. And a small, tiny, slice are loved. The dogs here are clever and distrusting, and they bring new meaning to the word skulk. They bite first as people are guilty from the start. But buried beneath the grime, fleas, emaciation and distrust they are still the hopeful creatures that crept up on man's fires all those years ago. I have befriended a few pot hounds...and helped rescue two. It is easy to be disheartened though, as the honest truth is you can not save them all. Everyday you pass wounded animals, abused animals...neglected...forgotten...dying.
So it was with amazement and a welling sense of happiness that I watched a young local man play with his dog for an hour on Grand Anse beach. A collar sat proudly on the pot hound's neck and she glistened with brine and health. The young man played fetch with his dog and she practiced tricks such as "go to sleep". This was the first dog I've ever seen that belonged to a local man, and he clearly belonged to the dog. When they were both exhausted they sat side by side gazing at the waves, the dog's head resting on his boy's shoulders. The bond between a boy and his dog is literary history, and one that is not told in Grenada often. I like to believe the veterinary students have something to do with the island's perception towards animals. That the drive and passion we feel for the animals around us changes the perception of the locals we meet and whose animals we treat. It was a good day.
I'd have pictures to share, but although Grenadian law allows several things (such as public urination) I assume that stalking is still frowned upon. You'll just have to use your imagination.
PS: New tunes for you sis...
4 comments:
Thanks for the songs, nice oldie choices! Molly
PS I am sure your puppy misses you too!
Love the new music. Inca does miss you.
Kiss,Kiss, Lick,Lick!
I, M, and D
Well, we humans miss you too!
Post a Comment