February 19, 2009

Drenched...

I have been neglecting my writing. I eagerly look forward to the blog updates of friends and families. New musings from Costa Rica, measurements from Glisan street, mothering escapades, teaching dilemas...my friends are proving to be very prolific, and talented bloggers. But I have lapsed in my writing. I love writing. Each day I compose several short stories in my head. Little do my fellow bus riders know that I've written entire sagas about what I believe their life to be. And this all because of an expressions or frantic shuffling of papers that catches my glance as they board the bus. And yet the blog remains empty. I will work on this. Although I have not been writing as much as I'd like, my life is saturated. And I'm loving it. This semester is swinging past in a flurry of exams, toasts and visitors. Midterms (as in HALF WAY DONE) are only two weeks away!



















My parents, sister and the Wojdans staged a Polish invasion for a week and a half. The rain that was suppose to leave with the hurricanes in December, has settled over Grenada giving our dry season a humid twist. But my sunshine dance must have worked, because my family experienced a rather dry trip, with only a few showers to add to the jungle ambiance. Between classes I joined them trekking around the island. I love having the opportunity to share Grenada with company. It's easy to take the beauty around me for granted. Company gives me a much needed "appreciation" jump start.

One day we traveled to the far end of the island where we hiked deep into the jungle and Seven Sisters Falls. The hike in, although only around a mile or two, is grueling. It would be impossible to traverse in the rain. Most of the "trail" is carved into the rock and mud with machetes. Hiking sticks were required accessories. The braver ones in the group lept from the top of the largest falls, after jumping the five falls before it. Seven Sisters, as you've probably determined, is a series of seven falls. They can all be jumped, but the Sisters require a committment after jump number one. Steep rock walls surround the falls, and once you start jumping there is no way down but...well...down. I learned long ago that flinging myself from high structures into pools of water ended badly. I was happy to film from down below the mayhem up above. Although life was hectic while they were here, I deeply miss my family and wish they were able to visit twice a term instead of only once.

Soon my former college roommate and her husband will be settling into Grenadian life. This will be their first big vacation since having children and crazy careers. I suspect the slow pace of Grenada will be shocking. I'll have them "liming" in no time though.

Miss you all.

PS: Frank "the Tank" anole lizard is still hanging out...in case anyone was curious.

4 comments:

Emily B. said...

I WAS curious indeed, and am glad to know Frank is in bug watch. Does he have any cousins looking for work in Costa Rica?

And I love the photo of you and Mol in the waterfall pool there. Something about it makes me feel like I'm there, your smiles are so genuine. Arctic Challenge: (Almost) Southern Hemisphere Version, anyone??

Justin & Ashlee said...

Visitors are so great! I seem to take Grenada fo granted too. But visitors make it seem like some sort of a vacation. Love the new header!!!

Megan and Kerry said...

But the real question is... did Otis get arrested for peeing in the street?

Anonymous said...

Silly Meg told Otis it was legal to pee in the street.. But mulitlpe times we had to tell him to put his shirt back on, which is illegal in Grenada! All in all we had a great time. I too wish I could visit more than once a year.

Molly