May 28, 2009

A new road home…

1.5 days before I was suppose to leave the lovely island of Grenada for my summer in Oregon and Montana, I received a letter from Oregon State University.  I had been extended a seat in their 2012 class.  As some of you know, attending SGU has been a huge financial burden for my family.  The economic crisis the world found itself entrenched in had a grave affect on the loans SGU offered.  The private loan companies who represented our program collapsed. Only one lender was willing to represent the veterinary students, and extended APR rates in the double digits. So at the beginning of the term I began researching other options.

Transferring in the middle of one’s veterinary education is not advised, and the majority of schools do not allow it.  Oregon was not known for taking transfers, but I mailed a Letter of Intent to Oregon anyways and crossed my fingers.  A few weeks later I received a nice rejection letter from them.  I shrugged and pursued other transfer schools.  I spent the term in a haze of books and notes, studying religiously, in the hopes of being accepted back in the states. 

shell Finals week began, and with it I received an email from Oregon State saying they had a few spots and needed more information on me.  I was terrified.  Next to being a veterinarian, I couldn’t think of anything I wanted more than a spot at OSU.  Studying for finals became imperative and my inner thoughts were constantly on that rainy, green home of mine so far away.  The night before my last final I got the official word that I was IN! 

In about 7 hours I packed my entire house (which entailed giving most of my belongings to friends), relinquished my lease, and sat on my porch with one last glass of wine to watch the sun set over the palms and ocean.  It was a bittersweet victory.  The suddenness of finding out, paired with the hectic finals schedule and my early morning flight, destroyed any chance of doing all the things I wanted to do in Grenada.  I would not have time to buy the little nutmeg painting in the plaza I promised myself for Christmas.  I could not stock up on duty free alcohol for friends/family (myself).  There would be no picture with the elusive Mona Monkeys of Grand Etang.  I would be unable to visit friends and professors to say goodbye.  I would not sit on the sands of Grande Anse one last time.  But all of those melancholy thoughts couldn’t diminish the joy I felt.  I was going home.  Permanently.

IMG_0613 Transitions are difficult, but this one is eased by the fact that I will not be undergoing it alone.  My lab partner, and one of my best friends, Justin, was also admitted.  Justin will be moving to Oregon with his wife Ashlee and daughter Rylee.  I think we’re both relieved to know we won’t face the sea of new classmates by ourselves.  Justin has a strong background in large animals and mine lies in small animals.  There are stupid questions, and thankfully, we get to ask them to each other, and not our new professors. 

The below quote fits the struggles of this past month.   Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing…must be attained. Marie Curie

My deepest thanks to St. George’s and my friends there.  I’ll miss you.  Frank buddy…mind the homestead and take care of the new tenant.

Last frank

3 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

I am sure it was bittersweet to leave Grenada, but we are SO excited to have you near us. We'll find you a nice little house nearby, buy you some orange and black clothes, and you will be set!

Justin & Ashlee said...

Awesome pic of Frank! We couldn't be happier that you will be along for the ride too. Hope life is settling down for you now so you can enjoy your summer break. :)

Justin & Ashlee said...

P.S. Love the new header!