January 22, 2010

Lily

IMG_1025 No, not that Lily (although can you pause and appreciate how adorable she is with her stocking?).  Unlike the retrievers of our past, Lily has never been the type to come to the door with a prize/present at the appearance of her family…until recently at least.  I don’t know if it was the holiday stress, but Lily took to bringing gifts to the door during the holidays, and appropriately she greeted me with this stocking one evening.  She can still give her trademark woo-woo while parading around with her mouth full.  She’s a talented dog.

 

 

 

 

image But, back to Lily.  Not that Lily, but Lily the BEAR.  I had to share this link as it is such a cool program and wonderful learning experience.  Some scientists in Michigan have hooked up a live video feed into Lily the black bear’s den.  You can log in at anytime to watch Lily “hibernate” (she’s very active about it).  She shuffles and wuffles as much as Inca does during her naps.  And wuffle she should, because dear Lily is in labor—right NOW.  So if you tune in you may be the first to see tiny puppy-like, baby bears make their earth debut.  And not many people can say that.  So grab a Bernstein bear book, or Clan of the Cave Bears, and rejoice with me in the wonder of mama bears.  Go Lily!

http://www.bear.org/website/visit-us/lily-den-cam.html

1 comment:

Meg said...

Yay! Lily had her cub. If you listen you can hear the cub sometimes. I think I caught him demanding to be fed as he did a whole lot of squawking and she was forced to stand up and turn around. I know the sound from the website is less than desirable (but hey, the camera is in a bear den). But you can definitely hear the cub making noise.