June 25, 2010

Hello my life...

Well I'm blowing the dust off this blog and in many ways my life.  School is done for the summer...can I get an amen!!  My days of being curled over a laptop and notebooks are over...at least for the next three months.  I contorted and twisted myself into several positions trying to ease the ache in my lower back and neck...but there is no relief from the pain that comes with intensive, all day studying.  Especially when you have a little red-headed dog who senses your anxiety levels and is aggressively set on snuggling by your side as you flip through powerpoints and notebooks. The final days of school were brutal, with seven finals in a row.  In the past, my class was lucky to have a mid week break for finals week.  A one day breather to cram just a little more information, and allow you a trip to the grocery store to re-stock on TP, 5 hr, and coffee beans (or tea if you're me).  But we made it through unscathed, and perhaps, smarter.

So for my last summer I'll be idling away my hours in the lush mountains of Montana.  Well, I suppose idle is not correct.  I am working in an emergency veterinary hospital in Missoula.  My first day is tomorrow and I'm excited to participate in a new realm of vet med.  I've dealt with emergency cases before, but vaccines and spays/neuters were always the predominate activity.  I don't believe this hospital even has vaccines.  What a thought.  They do however have stomach tubes for deflating bloats, a fridge full of blood products and a large pool of rotating doctors.  By the end of summer I'll maybe have met them all.  The hospital is a co-op of several valley veterinarians who after years of fielding their own evening and holiday calls decided, in the interest of sanity, they should join forces.  I'm training during the day tomorrow, but after that I will primarily be working at night.  The shifts range from 5pm-1am and 1am-8am.  A few lucky times a month there are even 15 hr shifts (5pm-8am).  It will be a new, wild frontier for sure.  Perhaps I will finally break down and start drinking coffee.  Oh the horror!!

But for today I sit in the glorious sun with a million dollar view before me and a priceless dog by my side.  Life is good.
 

3 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

Mmmm....coffee. You'll love it :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Remember that as you idly enjoy Montana that you also have MOH duties this summer! MEP