July 8, 2010

Embarrassing or Great???

I'm sitting on the crinkly white paper in the dermatologists office waiting for the PA to come in and do a microscopic scan of my skin for new hints of skin cancer.  Ahhh the joys of being an auburn haired, white girl.  Bi-annual skin exams.  The silly cloth gown gaps open behind me and I stand to snugly twist my gown to the side and sit back down, pinning it closed.  I swing my legs to and fro and give a disgusted snort as I realize I forgot to shave. There's a knock at the door and I hear a voice behind the curtain...
"Meg are you ready?"
 "All set," I reply.  The curtain pulls back and there's a shriek and the happy clap and jump up and down that some females do.
"Oh my god Megan!!"  And standing there, in her white PA coat, is an old college friend from Linfield...in Missoula.  And then she's hugging me in my little hospital gown.
"You're doing my exam?  That is so...neat," I say while smiling through gritted teeth.  I am now fiercely aware of the fact that I forgot to shave, have no make-up on, and my hair is barely controlled with a hair-tie.  Super.
For those who haven't had a skin cancer check it's very thorough.  The doctor or PA uses both hands to feel your skin, and magnifying eye loops.  No bit goes unchecked.  So as (let's call her Carlene) and I chatted about our roster of college friends, she moved my arms and legs around like a doll and peaked beneath my under clothes.
Now Carlene was always a smart gal.  I was not doubting her abilities, but at the same time we knew each other freshman year of college.  I had witnessed her make several less than stellar decisions and vice versa.  Hell I probably had pictures some where.  As she scraped and froze sections of skin, we reminisced while I replayed college scenes in my head.  With one more awkward hug the exam was finished and I was allowed to dress in peace.
When I relayed the story to my sister, she said, "well that sounds like a good thing.  Being able to see an old friend."  It hadn't occurred to me that someone would want their doctor to also be a friend.  I like my doctor to be swathed in a white coat of anonymity.  Of course I know they have lives, drink and make mistakes.  But I don't want to KNOW that.  I like to believe my doctors live in their practices and are constantly thinking medical thoughts and reading medical journals.  I don't want to have the memory of holding my doc's hair back after a long evening at a frat party.

So...poll time.  Am I alone?  Do you want a friend/doctor?

2 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

No. Your friends should not be seeing you naked, examining your skin microscopically, etc. Also, your doctor should not be younger than you (an experience I have had at the OB/GYN). Because that's weird too.

Jess Richter said...

Okay, now you have me totally curious about who this person is! But I agree. Unless you're in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere, you shouldn't really have your friend as a doctor (or any medical professional, for that matter). Even then, I'd much rather meet him or her in a professional sense first. If we become friends later, that's something altogether different. I would've been totally weirded out.