November 4, 2008

Civic Duty From The Islands

Although I'm stationed a few thousand miles from my friends, family and country I did get my vote in. I voted weeks ago with the help of a fabulous group, Overseas Vote Foundation. My previous voting history was played out in Oregon, where voting requires licking a stamp and a mailbox. I must say that the Overseas Vote Foundation was nearly as convenient. I actually faxed my vote in. I did have to sign a lovely waiver stating that I did not mind the lack of privacy, but anything that saves me from dealing with the not-so-friendly guy who runs the campus mail room is a-ok by me.

I am sad to admit that while in the US my knowledge of politics was limited...to perhaps even non-existent in many areas. I voted on measures, levies and council seats with a "I like their name better" approach more then once. I know...I feel the shame wash over me. BUT...my ways have changed since I've begun my international experience. Following the day to day hustle and bustle of the states takes energy down here, and research. And I'm surrounded by freakishly, intelligent people...over 50% of whom are not American. So I've had some fascinating conversations and debates. I feel I was truly poised and ready to make a good decision in this election...a decision that is right for ME. One of my great epiphanies this voting season was that who you vote for is usually a selfish decision. I actually took some on-line tests where you blindly clicked "agree", "don't agree" to several platform statements (not knowing which candidate they represented). I happily clicked through the exam expecting a 100% in favor of Obama. Instead I came out with a 70% Obama...30% McCain. WHAT!?? Now with my school oriented mentality I glared at the screen and the number that represented a "C grade". The site then lead me to a link that allowed me to see the candidates stands...even more surprising...I agreed with McCain on the economy! Of all things! This score lead me into new conversations with my friends and classmates...and I sought out new information on the web. And all my searching solidified the fact that I was not in favor of Obama's tax plan...and I was okay with that.

In the end, I cast my ballot for Obama. Because what's important to me currently is the environment, school and health care. All things I currently fight to have. I don't have any money. When I'm the proud owner of a small animal hospital years from now (and thus a small business) I may find myself drifting towards the Republicans. The important thing I've learned though is that I should allow my mind to drift back and forth...my opinions should grow and even change. And I hope I remember a 100% in politics may mean I need to listen to both sides a little more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Civic duty, my dear! Though it's very civilized, as well. And I can hope you won't find yourself drifting Republican even when you're a small business owner... Obama's tax plan doesn't tax those generate $250,000 or more in profits. Just in income for you, not the business. So you will probably always be best off under his plan, and as a wealthy person I recently spoke to said, "I voted for Obama because there are things more important than taxes." It was heartwarming!!