March 23, 2009

Gloves Are For Sissies

This is a bovine with a ruminal cannula, aka a "Cookie Jar" or "Window" cow. However, no delicious chocolate cookies lie beneath the lid, and it's not a quick access port for a fresh glass of milk. The ruminal cannula is a direct shot into the rumen which has sloshing malodorously around, about 40 gallons of fermenting foliage. Yummy. And yes, it smells like vomit.

These cows are the saving grace of veterinary students and sick cows. They allow us to palpate the inside of the four chambered stomach on a routine basis, and they supply some of their delightful slurry to cows whose microbes have died off due to disease.

Today I was literally up to my elbows in school work. I was very eager to jump in and didn't want to wait for gloves...



I'm not regretting this decision at ALL! Not a bit. This feels nice really. Like a vat of warm oatmeal. Not disturbing in the least. And the smell, it's not that bad. I'm sure it's nothing that some scrubbing and a little sandpaper won't take off.






Did I take off my ring??? Yes, yes I did. Whew. Despite the fact I look like I want to heave I'm actually picturing a cow anatomical road map in my head. This is my look of concentration.






















Ah ha! Bingo! Caudal Pillar! Forward march!






















A full arm's length later I'm in the front basket, the reticulum.

I love days like this.














Have you gotten dirty today?

6 comments:

Justin & Ashlee said...

I don't think I got as dirty as you...maybe a little spit up from Rylee is all. You are a brave girl! I really don't think I could stick my hand in without gloves. I can't even hardly pull the drain in the sink if there is soggy food sitting in it!

Anonymous said...

Gross..but really cool! Molly

Emily B. said...

Yes, gross. And No. Not cool. Not cool at all. That is a living cow? That cow is alive? I cannot compute this. I am horrified.

However in photo number one, I am LOVING your face. I have seen this face in many situations but now it will always, always, always be "i'm rooting around inside a live cow" face.

Meg said...

Not only is she alive, but she just had the cutest little baby cow. She could care less that she is a cookie jar cow. She's happily had her lid now for well over a year. It is WIERD though. And although not an attractive picture of me, at all, photo number 1 did crack me up so on the blog it went.

Anonymous said...

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
Meggie

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Meg,

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Pet Health Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff